Birth Certificate Disputes

Want to change your childs birth certificate?

Birth certificate Disputes

birth certificate
Birth Certificate Disputes - How Mediation can resolve them

Welcome to the world of family mediation, where we provide a confidential and impartial space to resolve disputes about children’s birth certificates. We understand how stressful it can be to go through these situations, which is why we are here to help.

Our aim is to empower you with the tools and knowledge to make informed decisions about your family’s future. Through our free family mediation service, we can resolve a range of disputes, including changing your child’s surname, obtaining passports, and updating birth certificates.

Not only is family mediation required by law before you take your case to court, but it also offers many benefits. By opting for mediation, you can save time and money, avoid lengthy court proceedings, and maintain your family’s privacy.

Our team of professional and experienced mediators will work with you to find a mutually beneficial solution that meets the needs of everyone involved. We listen to your concerns and offer guidance to help you reach an agreement that works for everyone.

So, whether you are going through a divorce, separation, or any other family dispute, our free family mediation service is here to support you. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you resolve your children’s birth certificate disputes in a professional, informative, and persuasive manner.

Birth Certificates - Where do you stand?

In the UK, parents must register their child’s birth within 42 days of the birth and must apply for a birth certificate in order to receive a National Insurance number.

Parents are also required to register the child’s name at a registry office or, in some cases, with an approved celebrant.

This is so that a legal record of birth is maintained and can be used for official purposes such as opening a bank account or obtaining a passport. 

Parents wishing to change the name on their child’s birth certificate must submit an application to the state registrar or county recorder along with documentation showing their legal right to make the change.

Birth certificates and family mediation

Changing the name on your child’s passport can be a complicated process, especially if you’re not in touch with your ex-partner.

Still, it’s an essential task that requires both parents’ consent, and obtaining your child’s birth certificate won’t suffice.

In this scenario, family mediation can be the solution you’re looking for. Not only is it a cost-effective option, but it can also save you time and stress.

Free family mediation services are available to help you and your ex-partner reach a decision that benefits your child.

Mediators will facilitate communication between both parties, encouraging them to voice their opinions and work toward a solution. It’s also worth noting that legal aid mediation is available if one or both parties are eligible for legal aid.

In short, family mediation is a practical and efficient way to change your child’s passport name, ensuring that both parents have a say and that your child’s best interests are at the forefront.

What is Legal Aided Meditation?

Legally aided meditation is a service provided by the government, and it covers the cost of acquiring an expert meditation service. The assistance applies mainly to families involved in disputes. 

Legal Aid requires individuals involved in the conflict to provide evidence of their present financial circumstances. The presentation of proof allows you to qualify for Legal Aided Meditation.

Upon eligibility, legal aid covers all your meditation costs along with Meditation information and assessment meetings (MIAM) which are initial meditation meetings. The legal aid fee also caters for the other individual MIAM meeting if they are not eligible.

Is there evidence required?

For an individual to be eligible for Legal Aid, there has to be a proof of evidence of your current financial circumstance. You are required to provide the following during your first Meditation Information and assessment meetings.

National insurance number.

Estimate value of your capital assets and this includes your home and other property.

A bank statement that covers all the first four sessions with your mediator.

Proof of income as an employee and this is mainly a payslip.

If self-employed, your tax returns and most recent accounts.

If you receive benefits, then a current entitlement letter dated within the previous six months is appropriate.

Why Birth Certificates are so important

The same information is relevant and useful when the government wants to issue passports or other relevant documents to the person named in the birth certificate.

The government commissions that custodian of the birth certificates who is the registrar of birth in the United Kingdom.

The rights are taken care of when parents get a birth certificate for the child Every child is entitled to a name and nationality.

This is a responsibility that is expected of national governments as enshrined in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

This is found in articles seven and eight. These articles require the birth of the child to be registered immediately and a name assigned, not leaving out the nationality.

The UK is one of the countries that have not only ratified the convention but adhered to its requirements.

Rights that show the age of the child, the gender, the nationality of the child, and other rights are taken care of by birth registration and seen in the birth certificate.

How Can Mediation Help?

Discover the power of free legal aid in family mediation to settle disputes related to the surname on children’s birth certificates.

Say goodbye to costly court battles and let our experts guide you towards a peaceful resolution.

Protect your family’s best interests and secure a brighter future for your loved ones.

Trust in our expertise and experience a smoother, more collaborative approach to dispute resolution.

Contact us today to find out more.